Please wait a few seconds while we redirect you
to the new and improved House of Annie website at
www.houseofannie.com !

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Sweet and Savory Biscuits

When I was growing up, we used to always have a can or two of Pillsbury biscuits in the fridge. They were just so convenient - just pop the can (always a lot of fun to see how far you could peel back the label before the internal pressure split the cardboard), lay out the biscuits on a tray, and bake them in the toaster oven. We would eat them with our spaghetti dinners, sopping up the sauce.

Annie recently had a little inspired moment with a can of Pillsbury biscuits. After baking, she split them, spread on some Nutella, added sliced strawberries, then topped with fresh whipped cream. At first it tasted weird to me because I felt the biscuits should have been served with something savory. But actually the slightly salty, buttery biscuit flavor went very well with the sweet fillings.


This is more along the lines of what I was thinking of making with those Pillsbury biscuits: ham, egg and cheese. I really like the flaky layers of these biscuits, as opposed to the wetter, crumbly ones you find at say KFC.


What's your favorite way to eat biscuits?

Aloha.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not mind piling them up like yours :D ...I prefer flaky crusts too!

Anonymous said...

I have never had Pilsbury biscuits and cannot imagine the flavour.

Both in your photos look just as tempting. :)

Rasa Malaysia said...

Hey, you should try steaming the Pillsbury's biscuits... they taste like the Chinese plain steam buns...they are sooo soft and fluffy...also sometimes I would stuff them with chicken meat or salty or sweet filling and you have Chinese dim sum right away. :)

Annie's idea is great nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

Whack-a-can biscuits are a secret hankering of mine although I very rarely give in. They're a great way to sop of sausage gravy when camping as they can be reasonably cooked on a camp stove. I love your stack! Maybe I should check my smoker for hotspots soon. Smoky. ;)