Please wait a few seconds while we redirect you
to the new and improved House of Annie website at
www.houseofannie.com !

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Killer Kalbi Recipe

A couple of weeks ago, Annie catered a lunch to thank all the volunteers who helped out at our church's summer VBS program. She needed something that she could prepare in mass quantities ahead of time, cook fast, and please the Asian palates of the volunteers. She decided to make a big batch of kalbi.



The other day, Annie got this email from a friend of ours who had eaten some of Annie's kalbi at the appreciation lunch. (The names have been blanked out to protect the guilty):

So... you ever have one of those dining experiences in which a particular food was so bad, it created a craving for a better version of that food? ****** just did that to me today. We went over today for a visit and to run an errand for her. She had some short ribs marinating for a bbq (I know, I know, it’s grilling, not a bbq) tomorrow and gave us some to cook at home.

We got home and I could already smell that the beef was beyond prime. Dutifully, I broiled them a little longer to kill off them buggers, but to no avail. We all tried eating a piece, and then we moved on to better things... like dessert. They tasted like they’d been sitting in the fridge since Monday. All along, the only thing I could think of was the heavenly kalbi you made for VBS. So now I’m bugging you for the recipe and I will not let you rest until I get it. =P You can place all the blame on ******.

Kalbi recipe.

Now.

Please.

Pretty please?

Lovingly from Annie’s Fan Club Member #84756


This killer kalbi recipe was given to Annie by our Pastor's wife Sandy who, besides being a great friend and role model, is also an excellent Korean cook.

Sandy's Killer Korean Kalbi

2 pounds of thin-sliced beef short ribs (We picked up our short ribs for kalbi for $3.99 / lb from the Kyo-Po Market on El Camino Real in Santa Clara. You should be able to find thin-sliced beef short ribs for kalbi at your local Asian grocery. If not, simply use regular beef short ribs.)

Rinse the ribs, pat them dry, and place them in a pan or dish large enough to hold all the meat and then some.

Pre-Marinade:
1/2 cup grated onions
2 Tbsp honey (or use 1 can of 7-up in place of honey)

Puree the onion in a food processor until it is almost liquid.



Pour the grated onion over the beef and add the honey (we used 7-Up instead). Turn each of the ribs so they are all coated. Let sit for 2-3 hours to tenderize the beef. Drain the pre-marinade liquid. You don't have to scrape off the onion solids but just get rid of most of the liquid.

Kalbi marinade:

5 Tbsp soy sauce
4 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp honey
4 Tbsp Chinese rice wine
2 tsp Korean toasted sesame oil
2 stalks green onion, minced
4 tsp chopped garlic (1 to 2 cloves)
2 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp ginger root, grated
1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, then pour over the pre-marinated kalbi. Marinate ovenight.



Annie prepared the kalbi days ahead of time, so she put the short ribs in a large oven roasting bag, poured the kalbi marinade over the ribs, and put the roasting bag in the freezer. The day before she was going to grill the kalbi, she took the bag of kalbi out from the freezer to thaw and finish marinating.

Preheat your grill to high and clean the grates. Grill the kalbi very quickly, no more than 2 minutes per side.



Remember, these kalbi are very thin, and your grill is very hot. They will overcook easily and can turn from a mouth-watering, tender piece of beef into a tough, dry, burnt piece of jerky in a minute. It's okay if the meat is still a little pink in the middle. It's not okay to get distracted and forget to keep an eye on the kalbi. Be careful!



I call this a "killer" kalbi recipe because after you're done eating, all that's left will be a pile of bones. Many people have told us, and I agree, that this kalbi recipe is better than the kalbi you can find in most Korean restaurants. So try this kalbi recipe out for yourself and tell us what you think!

Aloha, Nate

This recipe was entered in the Monthly Mingle - Grill It! event.

Related recipes: Beef Tenderloin in Salt Crust, Churrasco Taco, Filet Mignon, Korean Pancake, Thai Beef Salad

34 Comments:

test it comm said...

That kalbi looks really tasty!

Sig said...

Wow, I love love Korean short ribs, trying this one for sure...But 7-up in place of honey... hmmm... I am lost, can you elaborate please?

BTW, thanks for sending this one for the Monthly Mingle...

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Oh yes these I could sink my teeth into! But like Sig, I am lost with the 7-up thing!! Thank you for joining us at the mingle.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Kevin - thanks.

@Sig and Meeta - the 7-Up has sweetness but the soda also helps to tenderize the meat.

McOliveto said...

My Korean mother uses Pepsi. The reason for the soda is that the meat used is very tough. The acid in the soda will tenderize it while the extra sugar and flavor gives it a sweet caramalized glaze and added depth of flavor.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Lesha - I wonder how it would do with Coke? We could have a contest - which taste better, Pepsi Kalbi or Coke Kalbi ;-)

Unknown said...

WOW looks Great!!

When you say thinly sliced how thick are you talking? 1/4 inch? I am going to have to ask my butcher to do it.

Thanks,

Kevin

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Kevin - thanks! I would say 1/4 inch is about right. Have fun making the dish!

jezzy said...

Wow.. Annie.. your kalbi looks great! I am going to try this recipe. Unfortunately, I couldn't get short ribs in the city where I live. Majority of population is White and Latinos. I usually make trip to Korean supermarket in LA when I go there. Due to high gas I am stuck here for a while. Any recommendation for other meat part?

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Jez - You can use regular beef short ribs in this recipe.

chililime said...

Wow, 7Up in Kalbi! The recipe I learned from my mom uses sugar. Great idea to use it for tenderizing. You can also use asian pear juice.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@petitekitchen - yes, we know you can use Asian pear in this (you can also use kiwi). But we had 7-Up handy so that's what we used. Do you grate your own pear for juice, or use bottled?

chililime said...

I usually just up a pear at the local asian market, just as I'm picking up the short ribs for the marinade. I have a juicer that is great for this. Whatever juice I don't use I freeze in ice cubes for future batches. I'll definately have to try the 7-Up. The ribs in the photo look so good.

chililime said...

Uh, I meant "I usually just pick up a pear", not "up a pear". I can't type.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@PetiteKitchen - got it, thanks! Good luck with the kalbi recipe!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this recipe! Your blog is awesome. I have made this recipe with Boylans Cola instead of 7-Up and it still comes out amazing. :)

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Anonymous - thanks! I've never hand Boylan's Cola. I love that it uses atural cane sugar instead of corn syrup.

Anonymous said...

I would call these Kick ASS kalbi! Thanks to you guys and Sandy! Korean food ROCKS.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@WoRC - you're welcome!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! This was a hit at my party, and people kept asking me me for the recipe :-) I used 7-up, but I'd like to try it with coke next time just to compare.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Cindy - you're welcome! I hope you told them to come visit the House of Annie blog.

I'd be interested in knowing if there's a flavor difference between 7-Up and Coke (or even Dr. Pepper!). Whatever you do, don't use Diet.

Anonymous said...

I used Dr.Pepper 23 come out amazing :)

Nobuta Power chun yuu said...

This recipe was the best!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Nobuta - thanks for the feedback! Glad you liked it.

Anonymous said...

this recipe looks good! I'll try it out. I have been using those jar ones, and they seem to be okay compare to going to Korean Restaurant. Those jar cost like 5 dollars and can marinate 5lbs of beef ribs.

KatK said...

my gosh... even your picture of pre-marinated ribs had me drooling all over my office desk! LOL...

I'm planning for a new year eve's BBQ and will definitely make this for my guests.

Keep you posted.

Thanks for the recipe by the way. yum yum...

Kathleen (Kuching)

twisted808 said...

7-up works well, my full korean mother-in-law insists that a can of Dr. pepper is the best way 2 go. i just trippin that you even have to put soda in. awesome recipe tho....

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Anonymous - some pre-made marinades can be good, but nothing beats homemade!

@Kathleen - Hi there, neighbor ;-) Yes, please let us know how they turn out. (even better, invite us over heheheheh)

@Twisted808 - Hm, Dr. Pepper eh? I'll have to try that, if I can find Dr. Pepper here in Kuching...

Bill said...

Great kalbi Ribs, We used to have them on the menu at Prince Kuhio Restaurant in Ala Moana Ctr in Hawaii, years ago. The Shoyu Chicken used to be a big hit next door at the Coffee shop......Great job.....Chef Bill

NuM NuM said...

Hello,

what is chinese rice wine? Can you find that at Korean markets OR what can you substitute for it. Thanks

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Nummm - if you have a Korean market near you then you can probably use their rice wine. Chinese rice wine is spelled Shao Hsing or some variation of that.

Tina said...

if you don't have time to do the pre-marinade, can you just include these ingredients in the actual marinade?

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Tina - I guess you could.

Andrea Meyers said...

I can't tell you how much I adore kalbi. Haven't had good kalbi in a long time, so will definitely try this!