Please wait a few seconds while we redirect you
to the new and improved House of Annie website at
www.houseofannie.com !

Monday, March 23, 2009

Easy Sautéed Brussels Sprouts Recipe

I don’t understand what all the fuss is about brussels sprouts.

I’ve never had brussels sprouts until Annie cooked them for us recently. But all I heard about brussels sprouts before then was how much people hated them. I wondered why, since it seemed to me that they were just a strange looking little cabbage ball that grows on a stalk. What’s not to love?

The other day, Annie picked up a stalk of brussels sprouts at the farmer’s market and brought it home. First she cut the sprouts off the stalk. She then cut each sprout in half and washed them.

IMG_2223

Annie wanted to make a quick veggie side dish for dinner, so she chopped up some garlic, heated a little oil in the non-stick pan, and fried the garlic until it became fragrant. Then she tossed the brussels sprouts in and seasoned with salt and pepper.

Brussels Sprouts Sautéed with Garlic

Brussels Sprouts Sautéed with Garlic

She sautéed them over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the brussels sprouts started to caramelize. Then she just served it up.

Brussels Sprouts Sautéed with Garlic

Brussels Sprouts Sautéed with Garlic

That’s all there is to it. It’s so simple, quick, easy, and deeeeelicious! Because of the caramelization, the brussels sprouts take on a sweet, almost nutty flavor. That combined with the fragrant garlic makes for a really yummy dish.

I think that most people don’t like brussels sprouts because they’ve only had (over)boiled ones. If you overcook any cabbage, they’ll lose their beautiful green coloring, turn a nasty yellow, and give off an unpleasant sulfur odor. The best way to cook brussels sprouts is to cook them fast so they don’t lose their flavor and turn into disgusting blobs.

So, if you say you hate brussels sprouts, or have never eaten them before, I do encourage you to give this recipe a try. You won’t be sorry!

This post was submitted to this week's Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted this week by Anna of Anna's Cool Finds.

Aloha, Nate

If you liked this article, subscribe to our blog to receive all our latest posts to your RSS reader or to your Inbox!

 

Hungry for more quick veggie dishes? Click below:

Stir-Fried Green Beans with Savory Tofu and Peanuts

Bittermelon and Shrimp in Black Bean Sauce

Roasted Aioli Potatoes Recipe

Vegetarian Chap Chye (Stir-fried Mixed Vegetables)

Five Quick Asian Dishes: Steamed Shiitake Mushrooms with Bok Choy and Fatt Choy

33 Comments:

Pearl said...

I have to try this; I've always heard "yuck" when it comes to references about brussel sprouts, and it's made me wonder, too!

Kat said...

I'm one of those brussels sprouts haters. Not sure why, I just don't like them. I've tried flash boiled, roasted, sauteed. They just aren't for me. They are very cute to look at, especially on the stalk growing. Good luck with the migration.

Anonymous said...

Nice! That char on the greens is so key to enhancing the flavors. We're not a huge fan of brussel sprouts but this looks yummy

Anonymous said...

Love brussels sprouts! And love your blog also. Very good write-ups and reviews and your recipes makes me want to try them out. Just noticed that you have things in a different type of category list now which makes it a lot easier to reference. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I, too, used to hate Brussels sprouts until a couple years ago. I'm glad I became a convert because they are such a wonderful winter veggie, and so good for you, too.

Bob said...

I love brussel sprouts, and the way Annie did it is the way to go. Also, has Annie started her tomatoes and other starts yet?

Christelle said...

I love bsprouts and yours look so fresh!! :)))

Elaine said...

You know, I never understood the fuss about brussel sprouts. Everyone I know here, in Canada, seems to hate it. But I'm not exactly a good reference because I like slightly bitter vegetables :) I think brussel sprouts are a delightful.. I love them sauteed in garlic like you did.

Elaine said...

Oh and good luck with the migration! :D

Anonymous said...

I love my brussel sprouts done the way you did. I also like to add some vermouth as liquid to steam them for a minute after they got a good stir-fry.

Elizabeth said...

I love brussel sprouts. Good luck with your transfer!

Anonymous said...

The photo of the raw sprouts looks gorgeous! I've signed up for beta testing and do let me know if there's anything else I may help with.

Annie said...

Robert--have I started my tomatoes? What do you think? How about I've started 50+ varieties of tomato and some beets and some peppers and some zucchinis but the tomatoes are in the overwhelming majority! How about you? Let's talk varieties...email me.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@all - thanks for your comments! I do hope you get to try out this easy recipe, while brussels sprouts are still in season.

@Gwyn - yes, the label cloud was cool but not very user friendly.

@Banana Blossom - we'll give the vermouth a try next time. I was thinking a little splash of balsamic vinegar after plating might go well.

Melissa said...

You're absolutely right - easy, quick and very delicious.

I don't blame you for moving your blog over to WP. I've thought about it. Looking forward to the new design and everything new in store.

Zue Murphy said...

Annie, you've gotta cook this for me. So far I have never had a good experience with brussel sprouts. They are bitter than the bitter gourd.

Bits said...

Wow~ look at those Brussels... so appealing and green. Just lovely.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@melissa - thanks! I'm thinking about how and where would be the best way to keep interested people up to date on our progress. Twitter perhaps? Or maybe a Facebook page.

@Zue - more bitter than bitter gourd? Cannot be!

Queenie said...

This is the only way we ever eat them. Yummers! Can't wait until late summer when we harvest our next crop!

Single Guy Ben said...

Yay to brussel sprouts! We didn't get them in Hawaii so I've only eaten them as an adult after moving to the "mainland." I like to quickly saute them like that, but I also like roasting them. The outer leaves get crunchy and it's like popping fries into your mouth. Well, almost.

Jenster said...

I'm still working on getting my family to like brussel sprouts. Last summer we grilled them on skewers with a little olive oil and seasonings. Like yours, ours carmelized nicely and I thought they smelled and tasted heavenly. Unfortunately, my husband couldn't get over his aversion (his mom used to boil them) and my kids picked up on that. I'll keep working on them.

When I first met my husband, he refused to eat spinach because his only previous experience with it was when his mom served it to him straight from a can. (She didn't know any other way to serve it but he had begged for it because of Popeye). Now he loves it cooked or raw and we eat it in a variety of ways.

So I'm holding out hope for the brussel sprouts!

Anna Haight said...

I see Brussels Sprouts in my future. Thanks for such a great post and participating in WHB.

Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds great, and love the photos! You guys are doing a great job with that camera!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Single Guy Ben - trying to imagine what brussels sprouts would taste like deep fried.

@Jenster - maybe this will be the year your husband gets over his aversion1

@Anna - thanks for hosting!

@Kalyn - thank you!

Anonymous said...

I'm trying them for the first time tonight! Came across this site when searching how to cook them, sounds yummy.

Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe and all I can say is thank you. Annie has cooking talents.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Anonymous - thank you! You're too kind.

TinyPliny said...

This was a very quick, extremely tasty recipé! I fell in LOVE with Brussel Sprouts because of your simply awesome recipé. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Maggie said...

I just tried this recipe and my husband (outspoken b.s. hater) loved them! Thank you!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@TinyPliny and @Coach Solomons - wonderful! Happy to have a part in helping you fall in love with Brussels sprouts.

Debbie Skidgel said...

I'm trying it today. Thank you so much for posting this.

Whistle Britches said...

Looks delicious.
My kids love Brussel Sprouts, though finding them on the stalk is a rare occasion.

Tatiana said...

My 2 year old hated brussels sprouts a couple of weeks ago but he loved this recipe! Thanks. I've never tried them like this before. Very tasty and nutty. I used garlic salt instead of plain salt to season.