Please wait a few seconds while we redirect you
to the new and improved House of Annie website at
www.houseofannie.com !

Friday, September 25, 2009

Stop, Blog Thief!

Thanks to a lot of commenters and personal emails, we have been alerted to a site that has stolen content from the House of Annie blog and many others. Compare the two screenshots below:

Scraper's site


House of Annie site



I am extremely upset to see my work posted on someone else's site, because I have put in hundreds of hours building our site only to see someone else just come and copy our posts to their site. (Okay, they didn't just copy -- they also edited each post to take out our signatures and also changed the internal links to point to their site.)

Because this "scraper" blog is hosted on Blogspot / Blogger (Google), there are a couple of things you can do to report it. If this blog has stolen content from your site, file a DCMA report to Google. The URL for the online report is

http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/request.py?contact_type=blogger_dmca_infringment

For the rest of you dear readers who are just plain mad and would like to do something about it, report the blog as Spam by going to

http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/request.py?contact_type=spam&hl=en&blog_ID=&blog_URL=

and entering

http://hot-kitchen.blogspot.com

in the text box.

Hopefully Google will investigate and take this site down.

To the scraper who stole our content, I leave this haiku:

I wish you would get
A hundred thousand bug bites
Where the sun don't shine

Aloha, Nate

Update Oct 6, 2009: DMCA report submitted to Google. We'll see how long it takes to get the site taken down.

Update Oct 7, 2009: Google has taken down the site! Hot-kitchen has gone cold.

LET THAT BE A LESSON TO YOU BLOG THIEVES!

27 Comments:

Unknown said...

One complaint sent. Even though we are to turn the other cheek, I like the haiku. =)

Anonymous said...

That sucks !! Hope they get shut down. I made a complaint too.

K and S said...

sent a complaint...hope they get shut down...love the haiku!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Luckily you found out this, otherwise this site just fool the readers, very bad..

Anonymous said...

How about this one ?
http://cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com/2009/09/plagiarism-blogging-etiquette.html

Anonymous said...

How about this one ?
http://cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com/2009/09/plagiarism-blogging-etiquette.html

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Complaint sent. Good luck, Nate.

Kat said...

And another. Hope this doesn't discourage you from writing.

Regina said...

This really bites. I made a complaint, too.

Anonymous said...

submitted a spam complaint

alysia said...

Sent a complaint. That's just wrong. They even have pics of your kids on their blog!

Jenster said...

I like your haiku!

That's really sloppy-copy work. They post your photos with your watermark on them and copy your entries without any attribution ... Talk about gall.

Donna L. said...

Man, that's low! You bet I complained.

Tricia said...

The "funny" thing is, on the pics they stole from you has your "signature" on it! The nerve of these people!

LOL!!! It's hysterical that she said she got the recipe from a friend of a friend??

Hope you will get your credit, where credit is due!

Keep up the good work!

Borneoboy said...

It's terrible when someone decides to plagiarize other's hard work ! Looks like all their posts are taken from somewhere else.

DeniseinVA said...

Hi, I'm sorry this has happened but I have a question about recipes posted on yours and other bloggers sites. I love to try out the recipes I come across and occasionally would like to post my results (with my own photos) on my blog. Is this a no-no, even when providing a link to the person who originally posted the recipe? I certainly don't want to do the wrong thing and would like to ask what the rules are regarding this. Thanks!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@all - thanks for your comments, and your complaints to Google!

@Denise - Thank you for asking! Our Creative Commons license allows you to use and post our recipes with attribution. Just say you found it on "House of Annie" and provide a link back to the post. If you like, you can leave a comment on our original post with a link back to your post.

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl said...

Ah, this has happened to me almost as long as I've been blogging. It's very aggravating, I know! I've done everything from email the people to leave comments on the blog when that's possible, asking them to remove my work--or pay for it with $$$$. Most of it is still up. Some of them added my name and/or URL, but still. *sigh* What do we do. They say the great compliment is when someone "copies" whatever it is you're doing. I think it's because they're too lazy to write their own stuff! :-(

Love the haiku! It's fun that you closed with a little humor. Very cool! :-D

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl said...

P.S. Forgot to say I added you to my blogroll--I've been meaning to do that for a while now! :-)

DeniseinVA said...

Hello again, thank you for answering my question. I really appreciate the feed back. I don't have a recipe blog but occasionally will enjoy sharing one from recipe sites such as yours but as I said before, would always use my own photos and provide the link back to the blog. When I use one of your recipes I will pop back and let you know most definitely. Thanks again and I do hope things work out with this problem.

Ninette said...

Complaint sent in! We'll get em. Funny, I was trying to photograph a corn clam chowder and couldn't get it right. I should have put parsley on top.

smile4me8p said...

Another complaint sent.

Sippity Sup said...

This has happened to me many times. I am sooo glad for the info you posted on dealing with it. Thanks...

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Michele - I think the greatest compliment is when people actually make our recipes and post about them. Simply copying the posts does not flatter me; it raises my ire!

Salt N Turmeric said...

Nate/Annie i found another recipe copied fr yours too the bitter gourd. Iv sent the spam notice to google.

Stephanie said...

How creepy. Another complaint sent to Google. Good luck trying to take down these imposters.

Alesia said...

oh wow the nerves of these people. *angry face*