Please wait a few seconds while we redirect you
to the new and improved House of Annie website at
www.houseofannie.com !

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Recipe for Dirt Cookies

These chewy cookies are so addictive, people will be begging for more.
dirt cookies plated
I first tried these dirt cookies when my friend Nana made them for a party. They are seriously addictive! And why not when you consider what is in them. In order to make these cookies, you need to first buy some Oreo cookies and crush them up. Then the Oreos are incorporated into the batter and baked. That’s a cookie within a cookie!
I regretted not posting them for Halloween because these cookies are great for Halloween since they look like dirt (hence the name) and fits the Halloween theme. However, they are so good that they deserve to be baked any time at all and especially now during the Christmas baking season. Be a rebel and bake these instead of the usual pretty, fancied up Christmas cookies. ^_^

You Like Me, You Really Like Me

I just recently made a batch here in Malaysia and when they came out, Nate and I had a little discussion about how Malaysians might not like them as they are a chewy cookie (remember in my chocolate chip cookie post I mentioned that most Asian cookies, or biscuits as they are known, are crisp, seldom soft and chewy?). We decided to share them anyway. Nate brought a container-full to work and I brought a container-full to a ladies’ gathering.

Container-Full of Dirt Cookies

dirt cookies
Guess what? Nate’s container came home empty and mine came home almost empty. AND a few of the ladies came home with me and helped me bake up another half batch because they loved the cookies so much that they wanted to learn how to make it. Guess there are people here who like chewy cookies after all.
I have not yet met anyone who does not like these cookies. I think it’s the Oreos in them. You know how you can never just eat one Oreo cookie? Well, I think that is why it’s really hard to only eat one of these dirt cookies. If you are going to bake them, make sure you have lots of people to share them with lest you end up eating the whole batch yourself.
You’ve been warned!

Tips on Getting Dirty

Some notes on making these cookies. If you crush the Oreos just a little and leave them in bigger chunks, they will look “cleaner” and less “dirt-like” but if you crush the Oreos fine, you’ll end up with a more uniform cookie that looks “dirty” so depending on what effect you want to achieve, crush them accordingly.
The refrigeration time is pretty important. Even though the recipe says to chill for 1/2 hour before using, I find that if you can chill it for an hour, the cookie will not flatten as much and will be prettier and chewier.
Also, I always cut the sugar in my cookies and this one even more so because Oreos are already sweet. I will list the recipe in its original form but please feel free to hold back on the white sugar (I normally lessen it by 1/3). And never forget to include the salt—salt in cookies accentuates them and give them that extra addictive hit.

Dirt Cookies Recipe

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups (about 11 oz) all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup white sugar (or less, I use about 2/3 cup)
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 cup (8 oz) butter, softened at room temperature
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups Oreo cookies, crushed up (into pea sized pieces or smaller), you can put it in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or put into food processor and pulse until they are crumbly, about 20 cookies total

crushed oreos for dirt cookies
Method:
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt (I find that this isn’t really necessary, mixing them together with a whisk or spoon is fine). Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, cream butter with white and brown sugar.
4. Mix in eggs and vanilla.
5. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
6. Stir in cookies. Chill for 1/2 hour (I find that 1 hour or more is better).

Crushed Oreos Mixed into Dirt Cookie Batter

mixing crushed oreos into dirt cookie batter
7. Grease cookie sheets. Drop cookie batter on sheet and bake for 10-11 mins or until edges begin to brown. They will still be quite soft when you take them out of the oven.

Baked and Unbaked Dirt Cookies

baked and unbaked dirt cookies
8. Transfer to wire rack and cool.
Start eating them and try to stop! Really yummy with a cup of coffee or tea.
Enjoy!
Cheers, Annie

18 Comments:

Anonymous said...

yo dawg, i heard you like dessert, so i put some cookies in your cookies so you can eat dessert while you eat dessert!

Single Guy Ben said...

I love cookies and cream ice cream which I always think is related to Oreos. But never thought of crushing Oreos into cookies? By the name of these cookies, they sound perfect for EARTH DAY! :)

Joanne said...

You definitely cannot go wrong with an oreo-filled cookie. That basically combines two of the most delicious concepts ever.

tracieMoo said...

this is definitely a great snack. oreo cookies to be made into better cookies! now that's a great idea :)

And the Hokkien cooks and bakes said...

Oh my! This is going to be my MUST DO item the minute I find time! Hopefully tmr! I am an ardent follower of your blog. Thanks! Made the pandan waffles you posted. I changed the recipe a little bit, to make it healtier for my hubby. I just started my blog. Pls feel free to visit. Thanks again!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This look interesting to give it a try, really a good idea. Thanks for sharing.

Lingzie said...

gosh! i havent heard of a dirt cookie before but i sure am liking what i'm seeing here!
i do agree with you on the general malaysian taste buds who prefer a crunchy cookie.
i always make my choc chip cookies chewy and i get feedback that they've 'lau hong' (in hokkien which means that the airs gotten into them!) :(
but i'm still making these no matter what :P

Blessed Homemaker said...

I'm Chinese but I very much prefer soft and chewy cookies over hard and crispy ones. Will definitely give this recipe a shot! Thanks for sharing!

Noob Cook said...

They certainly look delish. I will choose them over the dainty looking christmas cookies anytime ;)

Amanda said...

I made a batch this morning and there's 1 cookie left (I did share:))!

Hang said...

Made these last night night and they were a hit. My daughter got a little over happy with the mallet so they were really dirty!!! Also threw in a cup of chocolate chips because my kids are solid believers that you can't go wrong with more chocolate. Thanks so much for the recipe :)

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@all - thanks for your comments!

@Anonymous - :P

@Single Guy Ben - Hm, maybe we'll resurrect this post for then!

@Joanne - aw, yeah!

@tracieMoo - thanks!

@Hokkien - let us know how it goes!

@Sonia - you're welcome!

@Lingzie - heheh, that's the comments we usually get, too, when we give chewy cookies to our friends and family here.

@Blessed Homemaker - you're welcome! Hope you like it.

@noobcook - thanks!

@Amanda - hehe :-)

@Hang - you're so welcome! I love that you involve your kids in cooking.

laufamily said...

A friend saw your post and made some for us. They were good indeed. - Jane

Unknown said...

I made it yesterday and my hubby could not stop eating it. Thanks, Nate and Annie!

lovedeniseh said...

Dang, this looks good! Have you tried making oreos with ice cream? just get any good soften vanilla ice cream crush them with oreos like you did and pop it back in the freezer again. Super yummy!

:) josefina :) said...

I made this yesterday and it was a hit! Used Trader Joe's Candy Cane Joe-Joe's (mint). I love that it is crispy and chewy with a hint of chocolate. YUM!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@jane - *waves* glad you like them!

@virginia - you're welcome!

@lovedeniseh - personally, I'm not a big fan of cookies and cream ice cream. But I could be persuaded! ;-)

@josefina - nice adaptation! Sounds really yummy.

Quek Quek said...

Hi,

I had tried baking the dirt cookies and it taste great! It is indeed very addictive..hehe.. Thanks for the recipe!

Cheers,
Yummyfoodbook
http://www.yummyfoodbook.com/