Please wait a few seconds while we redirect you
to the new and improved House of Annie website at
www.houseofannie.com !

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Chocolate Haupia Pie Recipe

You deserve a ∏ (Pi) today. So how about a Chocolate Haupia Pie?

chocolate haupia pie slice

Today is March 14: 3.14. If you remember your Geometry, 3.14 is a very significant number. ∏, or “Pi” is the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter. Science and Math geeks like to celebrate the number on March 14. And since it sounds like the word “pie”, Science and Math geeks who bake will make pies on that day as well!

Last year, we threw a big, Hawaiian-themed party at our house. Our Ultimate Hawaiian Backyard Lu’au featured many popular Hawaiian dishes as well as desserts. Our friend Melissa, who is a great baker, prepared this Chocolate Haupia pie for us. (“Haupia”, by the way, is a Hawaiian-style, coconut milk-based pudding.) It was the best!

Thankfully, Melissa and her husband Pat had photographed the pie-making process in their kitchen, and had emailed us their pics. We hadn’t posted the recipe before, so I figured Pi Day would be the perfect time to do it.

The Chocolate Haupia Pie recipe comes in two parts: a crust containing macadamia nuts, and the haupia filling.

Haupia Pie Crust Recipe

from the “Hilo Haupia Squares” recipe by Sam Choy

Ingredients

1/2 cup macadamia nuts (roasted, unsalted)
1 cup cold butter
2 cups flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar

Method

1. Heat oven to 350*F.

2. Pulse nuts in food processor till coarsely chopped.

3. Cut butter into pat-sized pieces.

4. Add butter, flour, and sugar to processor.

5. Pulse till butter is fully incorporated; it will just look like a dry, crumbly mixture.

6. Dump it into a 9x13 baking dish, and press with your hands to cover the bottom and about an inch or so up the sides of the pan.

haupia pie crust

7. Bake 15 minutes, till golden brown.

While the crust is baking, you can start making the haupia pudding for the filling.

Haupia Pie Filling Recipe

adapted from “Maika’i Favorites” by way of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Ingredients

10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
2, 10-ounce cans of coconut milk (we like the Mae Ploy brand)
1-1/2 cups milk
1-1/2 cups sugar
3/8 cup cornstarch
1-1/2 cups water

Method

1. Whisk coconut milk, milk, and sugar together in a small saucepan. In a separate bowl, whisk the cornstarch and water to make a slurry. Bring the coconut milk mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Slowly pour in the cornstarch slurry, whisking until thickened.

thickening haupia

2. Microwave the chocolate pieces in a glass bowl on high for 1 minute. Stir to melt completely.

3. Separate half the haupia mixture into another bowl. Add the melted chocolate into the bowl of haupia.

adding chocolate to haupia

4. Mix the chocolate and haupia together until well incorporated.

folding chocolate into haupia

5. Pour the chocolate haupia mixture into the baked pie crust and spread it evenly over the bottom.

pouring chocolate into pie

6. Pour the remaining haupia onto the top of the chocolate layer.

adding on haupia layer

7. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour to set. Garnish with shaved chocolate and whipped cream.

chocolate haupia pie slice

I do hope you get to try out this chocolate haupia pie recipe. It’s really very easy to make, and the results are well worth it.

Aloha, Nate

Ultimate Hawaiian Backyard Lu’au Recipes

Kalua Pig with Cabbage Recipe

Lomi Lomi Salmon Recipe

Ahi Limu Poke Recipe

Huli Chicken Recipe

17 Comments:

Sharlene T. said...

OMG! That looks sooooo good, and easy to make. Will definitely give it a try. Thank you, thank you, for sharing. Always love fast and easy desserts. Have a great day.

Kalyn Denny said...

Sorry I am off topic for chocolate pie, but the seeds arrived today! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'll plant them tomorrow and put them in a sunny window in my office where I can tend them carefully.

Victor said...

I have to admit that I don't know anything about Hawaiian cuisine. The pie must taste good.

I'm into Pie day, thanks for the reminder! I have to post something on pies then.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

I love chocolate and coconut so that pie must be heaven! One question...is the coconut milk sweetened or unsweetened? Thanks, can't wait to try this!

Kathleen said...

This looks really, really, really good! Is the coconut milk sweetened or unsweetened? Lisa and I await your answer. I think I would like to try this using Mexican Ibarra chocolate and home made coconut milk.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@all - thanks for your comments!

@Sharlene - you're welcome!

@Kalyn - all right! I look forward to seeing you post about them later this Summer ;-)

@Victor - I hope you do try this recipe out!

@Lisa and @Kathleen - no, the coconut milk is not sweetened. Let us know how your pies turned out!

Rachel said...

Mmmm! This looks delicious! Thanks for joining the Pi Day Pie linky on my blog.

Food Gal said...

I feel like I'm on a tropical island just oogling that beautiful pie. All I need is a drink with an umbrella in it now. ;)

Kate Porter said...

I tried this last night. I didn't have macadamias, so I just made a regular graham cracker crust (although I had some dried coconut and threw that in as well). I think I under-cornstarched it, though, b/c when I poured the un-chocolated haupia onto the chocolate layer, it all just mixed together. So now I have a chocolate-haupia marble pie. But it's still really tasty. Thanks for the recipe! (I came here via ScienceBlogs, BTW.)

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Rachel - thanks for hosting!

@FoodGal - if you like pina colada, go for it!

@Kate - welcome to our blog! I'm not quite sure what happened to cause the layers to mix. Theoretically the chocolate should have made the bottom layer denser than the top. There are many variables, though. Sounds like an opportunity for experimentation ;-)

Melissa said...

Kathleen and Lisa-- just use unsweetened. Look how much sugar you're adding anyway! Annie, thanks for posting my recipe! Makes me want to make it again, but I think I'll wait till BBQ season.

Melissa said...

Nate- you missed a good chance for a dumb joke. Pi R squared... and here, for pi day, is a square pie! Ok rectangle, but still...

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Melissa - could you give us some insight into Kate's problem with the haupia not being thick enough?

Re: dumb joke - I'm aware of the square corners but since Pi is so closely related to circles, I didn't wanna go there.

Anonymous said...

Happy Pi day!

tru10000 said...

oooh I want some!!

Starsky said...

I had the same trouble with the to layers mixing, I think next time I will either let the first layer set in the fridge a while, or let both layers cool completely on the counter before attempting to layer. Either way, the filling tastes great, and I was so happy to have found this recipe. Thanks. Amanda Rego

Lacey said...

I made this last night and it came out amazing!! Everyone LOVED it! I remembered some comments about the layers mixing and I let the chocolate mix and haupia mix cool a little before pouring them into the pan. That worked out great. The mixes thickened up nicely and didn't mix when I poured them into the pan. Thanks!!!