Please wait a few seconds while we redirect you
to the new and improved House of Annie website at
www.houseofannie.com !

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Posting More Than 4 Pictures from Picasa to Blogger

I use Picasa to manage and edit my pictures and also to upload posts to Blogger using the handy "BlogThis!" button right within the application. Unfortunately, Picasa does not upload more than 4 pictures per post. It's one of the pet peeves that I blogged about on my Blogger Wishlist post.

If I have more than 4 pictures to include in a post (such as the "Es Teler" post yesterday), I would normally have to edit the draft and manually add each extra image. The really bad thing about this process is, Blogger will put each manually added image right at the top of the post, regardless of where the cursor actually was within the post. You have to move the pictures after adding them to the post. It's a very humbug process.

(I read that Blogger in Draft is beta testing a new post editor that has better image handling capability. I've tried it out; it's still not better than Xanga, where I run my personal blog.)

Yesterday's Es Teler post had 10 separate pictures. I did not fancy having to wrestle with manually adding and maneuvering 6 more photos into the draft after I uploaded the first 4. Then, I had a revelation. I didn't have to manually add 6 photos to the original post. I could still use Picasa to upload all 10 photos to Blogger, and have them all show up in the original post, in the correct order.

How'd I do it?

Here's my recipe for uploading multiple pictures to Blogger from Picasa:

First, as I would normally do it, highlight 4 pictures and then click the BlogThis! button


The stripped-down version of the Blogger editor will show up. Next is to give the post a title, click the "Edit HTML" link on the top right to display the HTML code, and then click Save As Draft. Picasa will upload the 4 pictures to Blogger and then open up your blog's homepage in your web browser.


Now, go back and highlight the next four images you want to upload to Blogger, then click BlogThis!. This time, give the post a title slightly different than the first one. In my example, I titled the second post "Es Teler 2". Repeat this step for however many more pictures you need.


Now, log in to your Blogger Dashboard and click Edit Posts. You will see all the posts you've uploaded as drafts to Blogger. If you're using a tabbed browser such as Firefox, edit the original draft post in a new tab, edit the second draft post in a second new tab, and so on and so forth. (If you're using a non-tabbed browser, go ahead and edit the second draft.)

Click on Edit Html. You will see a bunch of HTML code that tells Blogger how to display the images you've uploaded from Picasa. You want to highlight all the code up to the last </div> for the pictures. Do not highlight the code that displays the Picasa icon - that you can ignore.



Copy the highlighted HTML code to the original draft post and paste them at the bottom of the post where they belong. (Here is where using Firefox or other tabbed browsers really helps.) Close the second draft, open the third draft post, and copy and paste the next batch of HTML image code. When you have all the image codes copied into the original draft, you can delete the remaining drafts.

As you can see, it's not a perfect solution. But I think this is a better way to upload multiple (more than four) pictures from Picasa to Blogger. No mucking around with the editor and its wimpy image adding function.

How about you? Do you have any better suggestions on uploading multiple pictures to Blogger?

Aloha, Nate

23 Comments:

Karthikkaraikudy said...

Many thanks this helped to post my photos in the blog today.
Thanks
Karthik
Bangalore.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Karthi - you're welcome. Glad to be of help! Namaste.

erika d. said...

Thanks so much, Nate! You made my blogging life so much easier!!!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Erika - you're welcome!

Matt said...

Thanks! I'm planning on using this technique right now after struggling with this limitation for the past hour. Perfect timing!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@M&M - you're welcome.

Matt said...

Hello there:

May have found an easier way--just turn on email on your blog and send all pics via email to your custom address. This eliminates the need for the multiple posts and HTML slicing and dicing. There are exact instructions that I found somewhere else...should have thought about this myself since I do a fair amount of mobile blogging.

Just make sure that you turn on the function that takes emails and posts them as drafts to avoid live works-in-progress!

Cheers,

Matt
www.paddlerock.com

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Matt - I've set email posting up but it never works for me - the emails never show up in my Drafts. But now I've moved on to Windows Live Writer and I am loving it!

silfiriel said...

I think this way is easier, after uploading the first 4 images, copy the HTML code in notepad, then Cancel the post and upload the other four, click HTML and copy the previous HTMl code from notepad

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@silfiriel - actually, I am now using Windows Live Writer to write posts and upload to my blog. There seems to be no 4 picture limit on this program!

Andy said...

YOu don't even have to go into the HTML to copy the pictures

just click on them and CTRL+C and paste them into one blog in Compose View

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@andy - or start using Windows Live Writer.

Anonymous said...

Matt, I love you man. No, seriously, I looove this email trick!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Loic - how have you been doing it before?

Elina said...

This is brilliant! So quick and simple. Thanks so much for saving me hours of frustration!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Elinka - you're welcome. I'm finding it much easier to use Windows Live Writer instead of Picasa / Blogger.

Jessie said...

I am new to blogger and very much appreciate your tutorial on posting multiple pictures. Thank you, I found it most hopeful.

WonKyung said...

wow- Thank you!
your recipe rules ;)

Paul said...

Great posting. Not sure why Blogger has a limit of 4 anyway. It seems this problem has been around ages, so perhaps its not a problem, perhaps its all on purpose? Anyway, read the blog, found it great and went to Picasa3, highlighted all the images I wanted and clicked on email, typed my blogger email address and hey presto. Just delete the text at the bottom of the posting, finsihed Thanks for everyones comments, team work is everything eh.

Swoosh said...

blogger uploads the picture to your picasa web albums.

why don't you upload all the pictures directly to picasa web albums yourself, an then take the EMBED script from picasa (same as you'd do with a youtube video), and embed a slideshow in your blog?

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Admin - thanks for the comment. I find that using Windows Live Writer is the easiest way to upload the pics I want to my blog. Of course, it only works in Windows so if you've got a Mac you'll have to try a different offline blogging program.

The Pierce's said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Finally, someone has figured this out! I was getting annoyed with creating several posts just to add more pics. What a lifesaver! Chrissy

ScottE said...

Thanks very much for the email tip, that works great! (And much more useful than comments about using some silly proprietary MS thing that doesn't work from Linux).