Please wait a few seconds while we redirect you
to the new and improved House of Annie website at
www.houseofannie.com !

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Roasted, Salted Pumpkin Seeds

Roasted pumpkins seeds are a favorite snack food here in Asia. And, they’re quite easy to make at home. All you need is a pumpkin.

roasted and salted pumpkin seeds

Last year, I made a pumpkin swirl cheesecake using a Halloween pumpkin that the kids had decorated. It wasn’t carved, so the pumpkin was still intact and unspoiled. I cut the pumpkin up, roasted it, and pureed the flesh to use in my cheesecake.

painted pumpkin

After first sectioning the pumpkin, I scraped out the pulp and the seeds.

seeded pumpkin

Then I put the seeds and pulp in a colander and rinsed them off while the kids picked out any stray bits of pulp.

picking pulp from pumpkin seeds

After the seeds were cleaned off, I spread them out onto a sheet pan to dry. The kids were kinda impatient, so I broke out the hair dryer. Daniel did the “heavy lifting” as he diligently dried those seeds.

blow drying pumpkin seeds

After they were dried, I drizzled a couple tablespoons of olive oil onto the seeds and tossed them to coat. Daniel and Esther then stepped in to grind some sea salt onto the seeds.

salting pumpkin seeds

They went into a 300*F oven for 30-35 minutes until they started turning brown.

roasted salted pumpkin seeds

After cooling, we started snacking. And we didn’t stop. Those seeds were gone by the end of the night!

Aloha, Nate.

This post was entered in the October edition of the Heart of the Matter recipe roundup.

Hungry for more pumpkin and squash recipes? Click below:

Pumpkin Mee with Prawns Recipe

Kabocha Squash with Spinach in Coconut Milk

Pumpkin with Egg and Green Onion

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Bacon

15 Comments:

Single Guy Ben said...

Perfect timing for this post as I see lots of pumpkins being gutted for Halloween! I personally am a lazy snacker so I hate having to eat anything that requires shelling, which is why I also don't like sunflower seeds. (And not just because people throw it all over the ball park.) Oh, but I do love crab. So I guess I do shell some things for the meat! :)

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Ben - I don't bother with shelling the seeds. Just chew up the whole thing! ;-)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Thanks for sharing, next time I will not throw away the pumpkin seeds..

Irene said...

Yea... I'll just chew up the whole thing too.

Sophia said...

This works for kabocha seeds too, right? I remember I used to suck on those green tea pumpkin seeds all the time on New years!

Sippity Sup said...

First off, gorgeous photos like your opener– move me. I have been nominated as Best Photo at Food Buzz (undeserved!!) so a photos like that prove the system is not fair. Great job. GREG

Carolyn Jung said...

Fresh ones are so much better than the ones you buy at the corner store, too. So much more flavor to them.

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@all - thanks for your comments!

@Sophia - I don't see why kabocha seeds wouldn't work. You got a kabocha you're gonna cook? We've got a couple recipes for that!

@Greg - I guess it's all about who you know and who knows you. Good luck on the vote! You going up to the Foodbuzz festival in November?

@Carolyn - totally agree. The packaged ones are too salty and taste kinda stale.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Cool! I was just thinking how to process the seeds for snacking and I saw your post!

Nurit - familyfriendlyfood said...

I love the hair dreyer trick! and the salt crystlas in the close-up ghoto!

ck lam said...

A super way of making use of the pumpkin seeds...definitely a snack that keeps you munching :)

Angie said...

Great post, and yes we ate all the pumpkin seeds way before the pie was done, they were gone in about 5 minutes. I actually have never washed them before, let alone dry them with a hair dryer, great tips, although I don't know how they can get any better, they are so tasty!

Fresh Local and Best said...

Neat post, the photos of Daniel and Ester are adorable!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Nurit - thanks!

@Fresh - not often they get to help out in the kitchen but they really took to this task! :-)

Unknown said...

This looks so delicious! :)
All the ingredients in it look great-- and good idea to make this with roasted pumpkins seeds!
You don't by any chance know a good place to find roasted pumpkins seeds, do you?
I've been looking around online for these. :)

Really like your blog

thanks!!