Please wait a few seconds while we redirect you
to the new and improved House of Annie website at
www.houseofannie.com !

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Hearts, eyes, and frog eggs

Our Vietnamese neighbor's son was having a birthday party, and we were invited to come over and join in the celebration. Even after stuffing ourselves with all the amazing salads, rolls, noodles, and fried chicken, we couldn't say no to dessert - a lovely bowl of hearts, eyes, and frog eggs.

No, there aren't really animal parts in this dessert. It's actually made up of hearts of palm, dragon eyes (longan fruit), and what Annie calls "frog eggs" or biji selasih, (otherwise known as the seed of Holy Basil), swimming in a cold, sweet syrup.



It was so good, I had seconds, and thirds, and took home a container full to enjoy the day after. :-)

I wish I knew where they got the Holy Basil seeds. I've only seen them sold in the Asian grocery as a drink. I wonder if the Indian store has them.

Aloha.

0 Comments: