Pavlova With Blackberry, Raspberries, Mandarins, Kiwis and Strawberries
A Pavlova is a baked meringue dessert. It is made by beating egg whites and other ingredients to stiff peaks, then baking the mass “low and slow” so that the outer crust becomes crisp like a cookie but the inside remains soft like a marshmallow. It is then usually topped with whipped cream and fresh fruits. The Pavlova was created to honor the famed Russian dancer Anna Pavlova after one of her tours to New Zealand.
Our friend Felicia made a Pavlova for us at a previous dinner at their house, so I asked her to make another one for dessert for our recent Ultimate Ribs Showdown meal. I also asked her to provide the recipe and take pictures (I know, such a demanding host!) so that I could post the Pavlova recipe later. Here is that recipe.
(Adapted From“Canadian Living’s Desserts”) Makes 6-8 servings.
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 cup raspberries, blueberries, strawberries
2 kiwifruit, sliced
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place bottomless 8 inch or 9 inch springform pan on top of paper. Trace the perimeter of the pan with a pencil onto the parchment. Turn parchment upside down.
3. In a bowl, beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
4. Gradually beat in sugar in thin steady stream until stiff glossy peaks form.
5. Sift in cornstarch; fold in vinegar and vanilla. Batter should be a marshmallow consistency.
6. Spoon batter onto prepared pan inside the drawn circle and smooth perimeter; smooth top.
7. Bake at 275 F oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until crisp and lightly browned on outside but still soft in middle.
8. Let cool completely (meringue may deflate).
9. Run knife under meringue. Carefully remove paper. (Meringue can be loosely covered and stored for up to 3 days.) Remove loose bits from meringue.
10. Whip cream; spread over top of meringue.
11. Garnish with raspberries, blueberries and kiwifruit or whatever fruit you may have on hand.
Pavlova with Berries, Mandarins, Kiwis and Strawberries
Strawberries and Kiwis are classic toppings for a Pavlova. Felicia also made a second Pavlova with just blackberries, raspberries and strawberries in a raspberry sauce. Both were very good!
Another good thing about Pavlovas are that they are naturally gluten-free. So if you’re allergic to wheat gluten, this dessert is for you!