Please wait a few seconds while we redirect you
to the new and improved House of Annie website at
www.houseofannie.com !

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Honey-Glazed Yams

Try this sweet and simple side dish, which is elegant enough for a Thanksgiving party but also humble enough for a weeknight meal.

Honey-Glazed Yams

honey-glazed yams sweet potatoes baked
Annie made this dish for Thanksgiving last year, but we’ve only gotten around to posting it now.  They were tuber-rific! I think we scarfed these down even before the turkey came out!  My mom, who was visiting us in San Jose then, asked Annie for the recipe so that she could make it for the family Christmas party back home in Honolulu.

My mom doesn’t like overly complicated recipes. This recipe for Honey-Glazed Yams, originally from Bon Appetit magazine, couldn’t be simpler!  Cut 5 yams into wedges, then rinse them and pat dry. Toss them with 1/4 cup of olive oil and a teaspoon of salt.

Honey-Glazed Yams

honey-glazed yams sweet potatoes
Arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 400*F for an hour.  At the last 15 minutes, brush with honey. Serve, garnished with chopped parsley. So easy, even I could do it!
Aloha, Nate
By the way, even though I (and many Americans) call these tubers “yams”, they are really dark sweet potatoes. True yams come from the tropics, and are generally sweeter than sweet potatoes.  Now you know.
I am entering this in the 210th edition of Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted this week by Healthy Green Kitchen and administered by Haalo of Cook Almost Anything.

Hungry for more potato dishes? Click below:

Corned Beef, Carrots and Colcannon Recipe
Roasted Aioli Potatoes Recipe
Okinawan Sweet Potato
Korokke

12 Comments:

Wendy said...

I love your yams. It's simple, healthy and looks delicious. What a great addition to the Thanksgiving feast!

Carolyn Jung said...

Oooh, I bet these would be good with maple syrup brushed over them, too. Yum!

Ju (The Little Teochew) said...

Little wonder that you scarfed these down! I would too. They look and sound amazing!

Janel (Dine Dish Delish) said...

Hi there! Feel free to post my gift ideas and link to my blog if you want. Let me know when you do, I'd love to see it!

Winnie said...

These looks awesome...thanks for submitting this post to weekend herb blogging!

Jenster said...

So simple but so elegant! Do you flip the wedges halfway through to prevent excessive browning?

3 hungry tummies said...

Are they yam or sweet potatoes, haven't seen orange coloured yam in Melbourne :(

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This is simple but I bet it taste awesome.

Janet @Gourmet Traveller 88 said...

I was already wondering if they look more like sweet potatoes to me. I have not served sweet potato (yam) for a western meal, i should try too. They are very healthy, nice pick!

smile4me8p said...

I think I'm going to try this out this Thanksgiving. Thanks for the recipe!

Kalyn Denny said...

Looks delicious. I was so glad to see that you mentioned that what people call "yams" are really sweet potatoes though! I've written about that at BlogHer a few times, and almost got in a fight with my produce guy about it!

Nate @ House of Annie said...

@Wendy - that it is!

@Carolyn - great idea!

@Little Teochew - thanks!

@Winnie - you're welcome, and thanks for hosting!

@Jenster - No need to flip.

@3 Hungry Tummies - sweet potatoes.

@Sonia - try it out for yourself and tell us!

@Janet - do let us know how it turns out for you.

@Smile4me8p - how'd you guys like it?

@Kalyn - I should also mention that people on this side of the world use "yam" to mean taro.