Simple ingredients, combined in a delicious, easy to make dish for weekday meals.
Now that Annie and I are both working, we have a helper, Jessie, who picks the kids up after school a few days a week, brings them home, and tidies up the house a bit before we come back from work. She has been a real blessing to us! Jessie was recommended to us by one of our friends, who buys lunch dishes from her. It turns out that she is also a pretty good cook!
One evening, Jessie let us try a sample of her braised squash with lemongrass. It was so delicious! When she told us how easy it was to make, we decided we would have to try to make it ourselves.
The following Saturday, we picked up a squash from one of the vendors at the community market. These hard squash were kind of like long butternut squash.
Squashes for Sale at Stutong Market
The next time Jessie came to our house, she showed us how to make the dish.
Braised Squash with Lemongrass Recipe
1 kg hard squash, seeded, peeled and cut into chunks
2 shallots, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks lemongrass (white part only), minced
1 tsp chicken bouillon or salt
2 Tbsp oil
Squash Chunks and Minced Aromatics
1. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a wok over medium heat. Fry the aromatics for 1 minute until fragrant.
2. Add the squash and stir to combine.
3. Add water to the wok until the squash are almost covered.
4. Mix in 1 tsp chicken bouillon or salt to taste.
5. Bring the water to a boil, then lower heat, cover, and simmer until the squash are just fork-tender, approximately 15 minutes.
6. Remove the cover and let the remaining water boil off.
7. Plate up and garnish with chopped cilantro or green onions.
Braised Squash with Lemongrass
The flavor of the lemongrass is so profound in this dish. It is incredibly easy to make, so much easier than our other squash dishes. The only dish easier than this one would be our Kabocha No Nimono recipe. I do hope you get to try it!